According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask JTech Mechanical in Magnolia about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at JTech Mechanical. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Magnolia home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at JTech Mechanical at 281-231-8768 or schedule an appointment online.