Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Magnolia, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be changed. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at JTech Mechanical can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give JTech Mechanical in Magnolia a call to begin. Give us a shout at 281-231-8768 or schedule an appointment with us online.